Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Journal #16: Confucius Quote


Chinese culture in general and Confucianism in details has a great influence to Vietnamese culture. Therefore, Confucius' principles have become the foundation of Vietnam's ethics and customs. Of all his well-known words, my favorite quote is "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."

This quote reminds me of the story of the Rabbit and the Turtle I was told a long time ago, as well as myself. Since I came to America, what makes me worried the most is my speaking skill. I've been here for more than five months yet I cannot communicate with native speakers confidently. I always compared myself with others and realized everybody is making progress while I'm still stay the same. This really made me concerned and self-doubting. I doubted myself if I will be able to catch up with my classmates in college in the future. This irritating state lasted until I read this quote, then I relate it to the fairy tale I was told during childhood. I'm like the turtle, making very slow progress. But little by little, step by step, the turtle will finish his route. It will take me a long time, but as long as I do my best, I believe I'll be able to speak English fluently and not freezing every time communicating with Americans.

2 comments:

  1. I love that story. It is very famous in America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be fine in college, dont woory too much ^^

    ReplyDelete